Sunday 15 June 2014

Autumn Garden Harvest

This year, several random pumpkin vines spread their way around our relatively small vegetable patch. It was very exciting as we have never had success in growing delicious sweet pumpkins in bulk numbers!
Here are some of the beautiful pumpkins that we got to harvest .....


Now, the humble pumpkin is delicious in many a recipe..... cakes, soups, scones, dips or spreads, curries, pizzas, etc. Even baked or mashed, it is very versatile!
I want to share one of my all time favourite pumpkin recipes - pumpkin fruit cake. A friend from many years ago shared this recipe with me, explaining the easiness of using the one pot for both cooking the pumpkin then mixing the ingredients. As we both had young children and were very busy with family things, this process made the recipe quick and easy. I hope you try it and enjoy this 'easy to make', yummy cake.
(In writing the recipe out for me, my friend meant to write glad bake paper, not powder! Also, her oven temperature was 180 degrees C for 1 hour, but I find 160 degrees C is better and I check after 45 minutes of baking.) 



PS I love handwritten recipes! The handwriting reminds me of the person who wrote it and the many memories we shared.....

No comments:

Post a Comment